The International Dyslexia Association provides the most recent, research-based information about dyslexia.
Please click here for a link to their website: https://dyslexiaida.org/fact-sheets/
If you plan on purchasing books from Amazon, please consider using our Amazon Smile account. HBIDA receives a portion of your purchase of any product from their site. Thank you! Amazon Smile: The Houston Branch of the International Dyslexia Association
Which books are recommended?
Books for Parents
- About Dyslexia by Priscilla Vail
- The Between the Lions Book for Parents: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn to Read by Linda K. Rath and Louise Kennedy (Ages preschool – third grade)
- Dysgraphia: Why Johnny Can’t Write: A Handbook for Parents and Teachers by Diane W. Cavey
- Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level by Sally Shaywitz, M.D.
- Parenting a Struggling Reader: A Guide to Diagnosing and Finding Help for Your Child’s Reading Difficulties, by Susan L. Hall and Louisa C. Moats, Ed.D.
- Straight Talk About Reading: How Parents Can Make a Difference During the Early Years by Susan L. Hall and Louisa C. Moats, Ed.D.
- Nowhere to Hide: Why Kids with ADHD and LD Hate School and What We Can Do About It, by Jerome Schultz, Ph.D.
Books for Students
- All Kinds of Minds: A Young Student’s Book About Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders: A Student’s Book About Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders by Dr. Mel Levine
- The Don’t Give Up Kid and Learning Disabilities by Jeane Gehret
- Josh: A Boy with Dyslexia by Caroline Janover
- Keeping A Head in School: A Student’s Book About Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders by Dr. Mel Levine
- Thank You Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
- If You’re So Smart, How Come You Can’t Spell Mississippi? by Barbara Esham
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper (pre-teen, teen)
- Fish In A Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt (pre-teen, teen)
Books for Teachers
- Beginning to Read: Thinking and Learning about Print – A Summary by Marilyn Adams
- A Language Yardstick by Priscilla Vail
- Multisensory Teaching of Basic Language Skills, 2nd Edition by Judith Birsh
- Phonemic Awareness in Young Children: A Classroom Curriculum by Marilyn Adams, Barbara R. Foorman, Ingvar Lundberg, and Terri Beeler
- Preventing Reading Failure in Young Children by Catherine Snow
- Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain, by Maryanne Wolf
- Speech to Print by Louisa C. Moats, Ed.D.
- What Reading Research Tells Us About Children with Diverse Learning Needs by Deborah Simmons and Edward Kaneenui
- When Writing is a Problem by Regina Richards
Books for Adults with Learning Disabilities
- Dyslexia in Adults: Taking Charge of Your Life by Kathleen Nosek
- Learning a Living: A Guide to Planning Your Career and Finding a Job for People with Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorder, and Dyslexia by Dale Brown
- The Runaway Learning Machine: Growing Up Dyslexic by James Bauer